Pilatus PC-24 vs Cessna Citation CJ4

How do the Pilatus PC-24 and Cessna Citation CJ4 compare side-by-side? What are the advantages offered by each model? Mike Chase analyses the performance and productivity of these two Light Jet competitors.

Mike Chase  |  01st March 2020
Back to Articles
Mike Chase
Mike Chase

Michael Chase owns Chase & Associates, an aviation consulting firm specialized in industry product...

Over the following paragraphs we’ll consider key productivity parameters for the Pilatus PC-24 and Cessna Citation CJ4 for sale (including payload, range, speed, and cabin size) to establish which aircraft provides the better value in the Light Jet market.
 
Pilatus PC-24

Pilatus Aircraft is the only Swiss company to develop, produce and sell aircraft to customers worldwide. To date, the OEM has over 1,650 of its venerable PC-12 turboprops in operation, many of which are utilized in Business Aviation operations. The 
Pilatus PC-24, however, is Pilatus’ first business jet model.
 
Designed with PC-12 customer feedback in mind, Pilatus sought to create a jet with increased range and speed compared to its turboprop model, while retaining the short runway capability. The resulting Pilatus PC-24 became the world’s first business jet that could be used on short, unmade runways.
 
The PC-24 received FAA and EASA type certification in December 2017 and is certified to allow single pilot operations. Deliveries started in 2018, and 57 jets had entered service at the time of writing. As many as 48 were wholly-owned. North America accounted for the largest fleet percentage (56%) at the time of print, followed by Europe (22%).
 
 Cessna Citation CJ4

The 
Cessna Citation CJ4 (Model 525C) is a stretch extension of the previous CitationJet (CJ3) model. However, it differs most significantly compared to the previous models by incorporating a moderately swept wing design (borrowed from the larger Citation Sovereign).
 
The first flight of the Citation CJ4 took place on May 5, 2008, with deliveries starting in 2010. Since then 323 Cessna Citation CJ4 aircraft had been built (as of February 2020), and 318 of those were in operation around the world. Almost all are wholly owned, and just two had been retired as of this writing.
 
Of the 318 Cessna Citation CJ4s in operation, North America housed the largest fleet percentage (80%) followed by Europe (14%), accounting for a combined 94% of the world’s fleet.
Pilatus PC-24 Flying Over Mountainous Terrain
How much do the jets cost?
Pilatus PC-24
$10.07 m
Cessna Citation CJ4
$9.66 m
What is the payload?
Pilatus PC-24
2,500 lbs
Cessna Citation CJ4
3,170 lbs
How many Passengers
Pilatus PC-24
6
Cessna Citation CJ4
7
What is the range?
Pilatus PC-24
2,030 nm
Cessna Citation CJ4
1,927 nm
What's the long range cruising speed
Pilatus PC-24
358 knots
Cessna Citation CJ4
377 knots
What's the cost per hour
Pilatus PC-24
US$2,188
Cessna Citation CJ4
US$2,043

Read More About: Pilatus PC-24 | Cessna Citation CJ4

Related Articles

Mike Chase

Mike Chase

Editor, Aircraft Comparisons

Michael Chase owns Chase & Associates, an aviation consulting firm specialized in industry product and market research in the Commercial & Business Aviation sectors.

With over five decades of extensive experience, Michael has worked as a director of special projects for JETNET, LLC; served as Senior Management Consultant for Sabre Holding; and was Director of Market & Sales Research for Gulfstream Aerospace, leading sales and product research, including feasibility and viability studies.


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Print

Other Articles

Cessna Citation CJ4
Off market
Monaco
loder image