Cessna Citation CJ3+ vs Embraer Phenom 300E

How do the Cessna Citation CJ3+ and Embraer Phenom 300E compare side-by-side? What are the advantages offered by each Light Jet? Mike Chase analyses the performance and productivity of these two popular competitors.

Mike Chase  |  01st May 2020
    Back to Articles
    Mike Chase
    Mike Chase

    Michael Chase owns Chase & Associates, an aviation consulting firm specialized in industry product...

    Over the following paragraphs we’ll consider key productivity parameters for the Cessna Citation CJ3+ and the Embraer Phenom 300E (including payload, range, speed and cabin size) to establish which aircraft provides the better value in the Light Jets for sale market.

    The original Citation CJ3 received full FAA type certification in October 2004 and ended production a decade later in 2014 when the Cessna Citation CJ3+  was introduced. The CJ3+ continues to be produced today. The Citation CJ3+, like its predecessor, is permitted to operate with a single pilot (US registry only).

    When Cessna developed the model, the cabin was stretched an additional two feet compared to the smaller CJ2 model, and the wingspan was widened by three feet. The economy of the fuel burn associated with the CJ3+ can be largely attributed to Cessna’s choice of engines. Two Williams FJ44-3A turbofan powerplants are utilized.

    Of the 149 Wholly-Owned Citation CJ3+ jets in operation at the time of writing, North America housed the largest fleet percentage (87%) followed by Europe (9%). Together, they account for a combined 96% of the world’s CJ3+ fleet.

    Embraer Phenom 300E

    Embraer’s original Phenom 300 model received FAA Type Certification in December 2009. The Phenom 300 enjoyed several years as the best-selling jet before, in 2017, the Embraer Phenom 300E was introduced.

    The first Embraer Phenom 300Es were delivered to customers in early 2018 and offered a new interior design and improved (Prodigy Touch) avionics, utilizing the Garmin 3000 suite. Meanwhile, like the Phenom 300, the Phenom 300E is powered by a pair of Pratt & Whitney Canada PW535E turbofans.

    Of the 68 Wholly -owned Phenom 300Es in operation at the time of writing, North America was home to the largest fleet percentage (73%) followed by Europe (13%) and South America (9%). Together, these regions accounted for a combined 95% of the world’s Phenom 300E fleet.


    Cessna Citation CJ3+ Private Jet Flies Across United States
    How much do the jets cost?
    Cessna Citation CJ3+
    $8.71 m
    Embraer Phenom 300E
    $9.45 m
    What is the payload?
    Cessna Citation CJ3+
    2,135 lbs
    Embraer Phenom 300E
    2,563 lbs
    How many Passengers
    Cessna Citation CJ3+
    6
    Embraer Phenom 300E
    7
    What is the range?
    Cessna Citation CJ3+
    1,825 nm
    Embraer Phenom 300E
    1,936 nm
    What's the long range cruising speed
    Cessna Citation CJ3+
    352 knots
    Embraer Phenom 300E
    383 knots
    What's the cost per hour
    Cessna Citation CJ3+
    US$1,447
    Embraer Phenom 300E
    US$1,525

    Related Articles

    Mike Chase

    Mike Chase

    Editor, Aircraft Comparisons

    Michael Chase owns Chase & Associates, an aviation consulting firm specialized in industry product and market research in the Commercial & Business Aviation sectors.

    With over five decades of extensive experience, Michael has worked as a director of special projects for JETNET, LLC; served as Senior Management Consultant for Sabre Holding; and was Director of Market & Sales Research for Gulfstream Aerospace, leading sales and product research, including feasibility and viability studies.


    SHARE THIS ARTICLE

    Print

    Other Articles

    Embraer Phenom 300
    Make offer
    United Kingdom - England
    loder image