Citation Longitude vs Bombardier Challenger 350/3500

How do the Cessna Citation Longitude and the Bombardier Challenger 350 compare side-by-side in terms of range, payload, cabin volume and operating costs? With deliveries imminent, will the new Challenger 3500 change the picture? Mike Chase assesses…

Mike Chase  |  30th September 2022
    Back to Articles
    Mike Chase
    Mike Chase

    Michael Chase owns Chase & Associates, an aviation consulting firm specialized in industry product...

    Over the following paragraphs we’ll consider key productivity parameters for the Cessna Citation Longitude, the Bombardier Challenger 350 and the Bombardier Challenger 3500. We will explore payload, range, speed, and cabin size to establish which aircraft provides the better value in the Super Mid-size Jet market.

    Will a range difference of only 123nm when flying with a four passenger payload, there appears to be little to choose between the Challenger 3500 and Citation Longitude? But in what respect does each model excel?

    Cessna Citation Longitude

    The Cessna Citation Longitude is a transcontinental Super Midsize Jet utilizing twin FADEC-7 controlled Honeywell HTF7700L turbofans and offering fully integrated digital avionics. It features a swept wing with winglets and a ‘T’ style empennage.

    A pressurized cabin with a flat floor accommodates eight passengers in executive configuration.

    The Citation Longitude has been in production since 2019, and at the time of writing there were 37 wholly-owned units in operation worldwide, with one in shared ownership and 29 in fractional ownership. The total fleet stood at 67 units in operation. By continent, North America had the largest fleet percentage (95% at the time of writing), according to data from JETNET.

    Bombardier Challenger 350/Challenger 3500

    The Bombardier Challenger 350 started production in 2014. An upgrade on the earlier popular Challenger 300, the Challenger 350 features a new cabin design, longer range and lower direct operating costs.

    Powered by a pair of Honeywell HTF7350 engines, the Chllenger 350 offers the fastest time-to-climb in Business Aviation, climbing directly to 43,000 feet, thus saving fuel and avoiding bad weather and traffic.

    Over the years, the Challenger 350 has proven a hit on the market for Bombardier – particularly among the Fractional Ownership operators. Of a total fleet of 411 jets in operation at the time of writing, 29% (119) are Fractionally Owned.

    A further 288 are wholly-owned, with four in shared ownership. By continent, North America had the largest fleet percentage (78%), followed by Europe (17%), for a combined total of 95%.

    Having enjoyed eight years of success with the Challenger 350, Bombardier was set to begin deliveries of the new and upgraded Challenger 3500 imminently, as of this writing.

    Bombardier claims the Challenger 3500 features the most technologically advanced cabin in its class with a raft of productivityenhancing features such as the industry’s first voice-controlled cabin, and the revolutionary Nuage seat, as well as the lowest direct operating costs in its class.

    With increased range, outstanding field performance, and steep-approach capabilities, the Challenger 3500 can operate in and out of some of the most challenging airports around the world, and should continue to be a hit for the Canadian OEM.

    No deliveries had occurred as of this writing, but a lengthy queue awaited deliveries, expected to begin in 2022.

    Cessna Citation Longitude
    How much do the jets cost?
    Cessna Citation Longitude
    $29.965 m
    Bombardier Challenger 350
    $26.7 m
    What is the payload?
    Cessna Citation Longitude
    3,200 lbs
    Bombardier Challenger 350
    3,400 lbs
    How many Passengers
    Cessna Citation Longitude
    Bombardier Challenger 350
    What is the range?
    Cessna Citation Longitude
    3,500 nm
    Bombardier Challenger 350
    3,247 nm
    What's the long range cruising speed
    Cessna Citation Longitude
    449 knots
    Bombardier Challenger 350
    459 knots
    What's the cost per hour
    Cessna Citation Longitude
    Bombardier Challenger 350

    Read More About: Mid-Size Jets

    Related Articles

    Mike Chase

    Mike Chase

    Editor, Aircraft Comparisons

    Michael Chase owns Chase & Associates, an aviation consulting firm specialized in industry product and market research in the Commercial & Business Aviation sectors.

    With over five decades of extensive experience, Michael has worked as a director of special projects for JETNET, LLC; served as Senior Management Consultant for Sabre Holding; and was Director of Market & Sales Research for Gulfstream Aerospace, leading sales and product research, including feasibility and viability studies.



    Other Articles

    Cessna Citation XLS+
    Please call
    United States - IL
    loder image