Jet Comparison: Gulfstream GIV-SP vs Dassault Falcon 900EX

How do the Gulfstream GIV-SP and the Dassault Falcon 900EX compare on the pre-owned market? What are the advantages offered by each jet? Mike Chase analyses the performance and productivity parameters.

Mike Chase  |  01st July 2022
    Back to Articles
    Mike Chase
    Mike Chase

    Michael Chase owns Chase & Associates, an aviation consulting firm specialized in industry product...

    Over the following paragraphs we’ll consider key productivity parameters for the Gulfstream GIV-SP and Dassault Falcon 900EX (including payload, range, speed, and cabin size) to establish which aircraft provides the better value in the pre-owned Large Cabin business jet market.

    Among the questions we’ll look to answer is why there has been such a large increase in pre-owned sales for the Gulfstream GIV-SP in the past 12 months? Discover more within this article.

    Gulfstream GIV-SP

    FAA certification of the original Gulfstream GIV was awarded in April 1987, and deliveries were made until September 1992 when the improved Gulfstream GIV-SP (‘SP’ denoting Special Performance) entered the market. The GIV-SP provided higher payload and landing weights, and improved payload-range performance compared to its predecessor.

    It was subsequently made possible for owners of GIV models to upgrade their jets to GIV-SPs.

    Built between 1992 and 2002, the Gulfstream GIV-SP proved to be a hit with the market, and 303 aircraft were built during the production run. As of this writing, 293 remained in service, and ten units had been retired. By continent, North America had the largest GIV-SP fleet percentage (87%), followed by Asia (6%) and Africa (4%), accounting for a 97% of the world’s fleet, per JETNET data.

    Dassault Falcon 900EX

    The first flight of the original Dassault Falcon 900 – a model developed from the Falcon 50 – took place in 1984. Over the years, Dassault refined and upgraded the original with the Falcon 900B, and eventually the Falcon 900EX, which offered improved engines and range over its predecessors, and an all-glass flight deck with modernized avionics.

    Produced between 1996 and 2003 (before a further upgrade was introduced in the form of the Falcon 900EX EASy), Dassault built 118 Falcon 900EX business jets, all of which remained in operation at the time of writing.

    By continent, North America had the largest fleet percentage (81%), followed by Europe (14%), accounting for a combined total of 95% of the world’s Falcon 900EX fleet, at the time of writing, per JETNET data.

    Gulfstream GIV-SP taxiing to runway
    How much do the jets cost?
    Dassault Falcon 900EX
    $12 m
    Gulfstream IVSP
    $6.4 m
    What is the payload?
    Dassault Falcon 900EX
    4,836 lbs
    Gulfstream IVSP
    5,700 lbs
    How many Passengers
    Dassault Falcon 900EX
    Gulfstream IVSP
    What is the range?
    Dassault Falcon 900EX
    4,469 nm
    Gulfstream IVSP
    4,091 nm
    What's the long range cruising speed
    Dassault Falcon 900EX
    436 knots
    Gulfstream IVSP
    459 knots
    What's the cost per hour
    Dassault Falcon 900EX
    Gulfstream IVSP

    Read More About: Large Jets

    Related Articles

    Mike Chase

    Mike Chase

    Editor, Aircraft Comparisons

    Michael Chase owns Chase & Associates, an aviation consulting firm specialized in industry product and market research in the Commercial & Business Aviation sectors.

    With over five decades of extensive experience, Michael has worked as a director of special projects for JETNET, LLC; served as Senior Management Consultant for Sabre Holding; and was Director of Market & Sales Research for Gulfstream Aerospace, leading sales and product research, including feasibility and viability studies.



    Other Articles

    Dassault Falcon 900EX
    Make offer
    loder image